Home Infusion Pharmacy Manager
Company name: University of Rochester Medical Center
Location: Rochester, NY
Below is a specific list of responsibilities and expectations for this level 4 pharmacist manager position. This serves as a guide for the position and will be adjusted according to needs of the department. For general overview of the Level 4 job description, refer to the pharmacist career ladder classification.
- Supervising Pharmacist (25%)
- Ensure compliance with State and Federal Regulations
- Including, but not limited to: NYS Board of Pharmacy, NYS Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement, Federal Drug Enforcement Agency, Food and Drug Administration among others. Includes inventory management, , Controlled substance management, Ongoing biennial inventory
- Ensure compliance with accrediting agencies policies and procedures
- Including but not limited to: JCAHO, URAC, Medicare DME
- Directs and controls the purchase and inventory management of pharmaceuticals and associated supplies
- Operations Oversight (25%)
- Directly oversee day to day operations of the Home Infusion Pharmacy including but not limited to:
- Direct Oversight of Home Infusion Pharmacy Operations
- In collaboration with nursing and other health care professionals, manages the patient care plan.
- Coordination and facilitation of new referrals and admissions through collaboration with nursing, reimbursement and operations
- Reviews, receives/verifies new patient orders
- Assist physicians, nursing and other health care team members with planning and implementing patient care in the home or other alternate site to ensure safety and quality drug therapy management
- Monitors outcomes from drug therapy by collecting and evaluating results of laboratory data, clinical data
- Communicates results of therapeutic drug monitoring activities to providers, nursing and other team members through various methods including documentation in EMR
- Maintains thorough and appropriate documentation in patient record
- Ensures compliance with Medicare and third party reimbursement guidelines and appropriate and required documentation
- Prepares and oversees sterile admixtures including appropriate supplies and equipment
- Programs and maintains infusion pump and preparation devices as needed
- Coordinates delivery of infusion therapy and equipment
- Oversee dispensing, compounding and sterile product technology, with a focus on maintaining/improving efficiencies, reporting data and trends, maintain medication databases (add/remove), Specific systems include:
- TPN automation
- Other sterile product automation
- Chemotherapy mixing automation
- Home Infusion pumps
- Identify safety risks and recommend/implement potential solutions in collaboration with management team
- Participate in evaluation of new technology related to medication dispensing processes
- Provide staffing analysis based on data trends for both technicians and pharmacists in the distribution area
- Participates in departmental and division QA activities
- Human Resources (20%)
- Oversight responsibility for recruitment and retention of staff for home infusion pharmacy program, including the interview, hiring, training and supervision processes in compliance with University and institutional policies, and state and federal regulations in collaboration with HR business partners (SMH) and Associate Director for Home Care Pharmacy Services. Recommends or approves action on hiring, terminations, promotions, salary and other related personnel matters.
- Assures the provision of timely and fair feedback and evaluation for all employees of the home infusion pharmacy program according to university and institutional policies. Evaluations and feedback must be developmental and constructive including performance goals that are consistent with SMART standards
- Focus on employee engagement with direct/indirect reports as well as coordination across other areas of the pharmacy
- Assess areas of improvement with collaboration among the team
- Develop and implement plans to improve engagement
- Maintain monthly technician town hall meetings to encourage input and feedback
- Directly Supervise and oversee operations for the staff pharmacists, technicians, drivers
- Directly Supervise the Technician Supervisor when hired or technicians
- Provide leadership mentoring and actively participate in routine technician supervisor meetings
- In conjunction with the Billing Manager ensure oversight of billing and patient intake staff members
- On-Line scheduled staffing and program development (30%)
- Based on needs of the distribution team and may fluctuate based on staffing and other responsibilities.
- Contributes to growth strategies of home infusion program
- Initial staffing may be higher as program is developing and growing
Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy or PharmD. New York State Pharmacy License (or eligibility). Minimum of 3 years of home infusion pharmacy experience, with management/administrative experience preferred. Advanced degree (MBA, MSBA) or residency with administrative experience preferred.
Company name: WELLSPAN HEALTH
Under the general supervision of a Senior Pharmacy Manager, supervises clinical, business and administrative services and functions related to assigned Wellspan Pharmacy location.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are essential job accountabilities:
- Works directly with Staff to ensure customer service excellence in a patient centered model. Reviews monthly customer service and employee satisfaction surveys and implements improvements to achieve results as needed. Supports WellSpan Health strategies on Patient Experience.
- Responsible for knowing and reviewing all state, federal and business laws as it applies to the operation of the pharmacy. Responsible for implementing and overseeing that all the applicable laws are followed.
- Ensures that the Pharmacy is appropriately stocked with essential medications and pharmaceuticals for both the front end and RX areas. Ensures appropriate stocking of supplies and equipment. Supervises all related purchasing and receiving duties in coordination with the Senior Buyer. Ensures ordering procedures are known and followed by all staff. Ensures compliance with annual tracking of all controlled drug inventory and maintains record of said physical inventory in files at the pharmacy per DEA policy. Maintains compliance with recalls and ensure outdated drugs are pulled from stock.
- Maintains knowledge of all computer systems and equipment used in pharmacies. Ensures staff are competent at using systems and equipment. Ensures maintenance of equipment and systems is current. Provides a main line of troubleshooting support to staff in pharmacy.
- Responsible for site in departmental strategic planning. Responsible to ensure pharmacy is following Strategic Plan and staff are focused on achieving Strategic Goals. Participates in facility layout and renovations.
- Works with Senior Management to build Yearly Capital and Operational Budgets. Reviews financial performance of the pharmacy and is able to justify variances to budget.
- Supervises maintenance of patient records, files and other records.
- Analyzes work flow and recommends/implements appropriate improvements following Lean concepts.
- Develops an appropriate staffing model for technicians and cashiers. Monitors staffing needs and adjusts schedule as appropriate to meet customer needs. Ensures Pharmacy Board regulations are maintained and Technician Protocols are current.
- Demonstrates a commitment to patient, visitor and staff by: complying with all applicable safety regulations; learning the impact of medical errors and methodology that will lead to reduction of errors; reporting actual and potential errors, as well as hazardous conditions; identifying opportunities to standardize processes and "error proof" systems that will lead to increased safety; and participating in safety education programs and root cause analyses as required. Works with Senior Pharmacy Manager and Safety Committee to analyze error reports monthly and develop action plans as needed.
- Develops, establishes and implements goals, objectives, and policies and procedures for pharmacy which guide and support the provision of care of the department. Meets regularly with staff to voice vision and direction and provide policy updates. Addresses all current issues and training needs in conjunction with the Senior Pharmacy Manager.
- Maintains established policies and procedures, objectives, quality assessment, safety, environmental and infection control standards. Participates in annual policy and procedure review, sharing updated policies with staff.
- Performs yearly performance evaluations of pharmacist staff as well as technicians, and cashiers. Mentors and continually strives to coach staff for personal growth and development. Ensures staff meet requirements for Yearly Wellspan competencies and JCAHO standards. Follows WellSpan Health Corrective Action policy to address performance issues.
- Represents Wellspan Pharmacy on system committees and is involved in departmental committees.
- Maintains regular meetings with referral sources to promote business development and growth. Supports referral source needs and searches for opportunities for new growth. Coordinates and integrates services within the pharmacy, with other WellSpan departments.
- Responsible for completing requested regularly scheduled reports or immediate need reports for Leadership.
- Consults with and advises medical and/or other healthcare professionals regarding utilization of and/or pharmacokinetic profiles of pharmaceuticals, including dosage, side effects, composition, drug-drug interactions, drug-allergy interactions, and drug-food interactions. Recommends dosing changes when appropriate based off of known clinical values.
- Compounds pharmaceutical preparations and/or labels and packages medications and pharmaceuticals. Assists with and/or supervises IV preparation and delivery if within scope of pharmacy's practice.
- Ensures proper controls and records of narcotics and other controlled substances as required by state and federal law.
- Administers immunizations, reviews patient profiles for immunization qualification and makes that recommendation to the patient. Ensures accurate tracking and recording of all immunizations in PA-SIIS and the electronic medical record when appropriate, or via fax to the patient's PCP.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise. Will coordinate with Leadership on areas of Personal Development and Future Goals.
- Acts as a staff pharmacist when necessary, including dispensing medications. Ensures prescription accuracy and appropriateness: reviews new prescriptions for appropriateness, contacts the prescriber to discuss alternatives as necessary, resolves medication problems including insurance rejections, fills the orders accurately.
- Weekly will review and approve staff time sheets to ensure accurate time keeping records.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Pharmacy Director or Senior Pharmacy Manager
The following are nonessential job accountabilities for ADA purposes:
- Performs other related duties as identified.
Note: Other combinations of formal education, training and experience may be considered.
Minimum Education Pharmacy Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Education Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
Minimum Experience 3 - 5 years
Req Cert/Registration Pharmacist (RPh) License and registration as well as Immunization Certification
Req Course(s)/Training Completion of pharmacy program from accredited school
Physical Demands Frequent prolonged standing/walking
Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
Working Conditions Subject to many interruptions
Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
Management Experience Supervisory experience required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.